The original structure of the Chumon gate was destroyed in fire in 1843. One hundred and seventy-two years after the destruction of the original gate, in 2015, the present gate was rebuilt as part of a project to celebrate the 1200th anniversary of Koyasan.
Daimon, the majestic gate of the temple complex, measures 25.1 meters high. The present structure was rebuilt in 1705. Two statues of guardian deities stand on both sides of the path.
Kongobuji is the head temple of more than 4,000 temples of the Shingon sect of Buddhism in the world. The temple’s highlights include elegant pictures on sliding doors by well-known artists, a grand kitchen, and the room where Toyotomi Hidetsugu was forced to commit suicide.
This museum keeps and exhibits priceless assets of the 1200-years-old temple, including National Treasures, Important Cultural properties, and documents of historical importance.
Several-hundred-years-old soaring cedar trees stand along the 2-kilometer path leading from Ichinohashi Bridge to the mausoleum Kobo Daishi (Kukai). More than 200,000 tombs for people of all classes (from common townsfolk to military commanders) have been built among the trees, their presence attesting to the deep faith in this holy mountain.